zondag 25 december 2016

Running in 2016

The past few years I started running as a means to stay in shape for trekking and hiking. In 2016 I started running for the sake of running (it's also the year in which I realised it's not the inexpensive hobby you hope it will be). I don't have a certain distance in mind as final goal, but being out in nature all day and being able to keep on going just feels so incredibly liberating that I want to go farther every time (seriously, try it).

After a nice run in the woods in Limburg, my running year 2016 started with below very professional planning to get me to Crêtes de Spa, which would become my first ultra.

 January: plan to get to Crêtes de Spa

Considering the fun I was having with experimenting and running, I didn't see a reason to change what I was doing, so continued along that way, which has brought me to my first 50-miler at the end of the year, organised by (highly recommended) legendstrails.com. As I've got the feeling this was only the first chapter in this story, I'm really looking forward to 2017.

Instead of trying to write something about every run (which wouldn't do justice anyway), I pasted some pictures below. Hope you enjoy them!

24Jan16: experimenting with Injinji-socks on Polar Bear Trail (22k)
31Jan16: experimenting with riceballs on Meerdaalwoudtrail (25k)

February: training: Bouillon

February: training weekend Spa

6Mar16: Antwerp Urban Trail (12k)

12Mar16: Crêtes de Spa (57k / 2096hm)

Crêtes de Spa

Nearing the finish line at Crêtes de Spa (do I smell pizza?)

Crêtes de Spa

April: Preparing for Antwerp Marathon

April: training: Wijngaardberg

5May16: Abdijentocht (16k)

May: training: Spa

29may16: Vaalserbergtrail (60k / 1350hm)

June: foggy training on Wijngaardberg

17Jul16: La Chouffe Trail (50k / 1560hm)

7Aug16: Tromsø Skyrace (Tromdalstinden, 28k (more like 32k) / 2000hm)

Tromsø Skyrace

Tromsø Skyrace

24Sep16: Trail des Hautes Fagnes (38k / 951hm)

9Oct16: Trail du Barrage (31k / 1115hm)

13Nov16: Marathon Kasterlee

19Nov16: Lommel Trail (55k)

Lommel Trail

27Nov16: Olne-Spa-Olne (72k, 2272hm)

Olne-Spa-Olne

18Dec16: Bello Gallico (80k, "supposedly flat", starting at midnight)

Bello Gallico, 10h later

December: training: Pietersheim & Mechelse Heide