zaterdag 7 april 2018

Istria 100 - DNF

So, Istria... I quit at the second checkpoint after merely 25k, leaving 143k unfinished. For those of you interested, my reasons for DNF'ing are below. In short, I wasn't feeling the race at all, and looking at how the event was organised, this wouldn't get any better further in the race. I also had a small injury and a more important race coming up. And frankly, I was in a holiday mood. I might actually return from a holiday well rested for a change!

1/ The race
Of course, looking back, I should have known. This just isn't my kind of race. What I love about long distances, is the feeling the rest of the world ceases to exist and you descend into your existence deeper and deeper. Call it what you will, but for me ultra-running is meditation. This doesn't work in races that are too crowded, in which you hear the next runner's breath over your own footsteps, and need to be constantly adapting to other people's pace. There were about 400 starters at the 100 miler, but after around 40k, the 100k-runners would be joining as well. And then there were two more distances that would join in. In short, there was no way I was going to be able to go to that special place you only find in ultra. Places you get to in races like Legends.
But yes, I should have known! Sayings like "gezellige drukte" or "hoe meer zielen, hoe meer vreugd" don't make any sense to me. I guess it's a big risk on making plans way ahead while you're still discovering the sport and your place in it. For example, last year I ran the Eiger 101, which follows a beautiful course, but is way too crowded as well. My big lesson is that I need to be careful I don't choose the popular races. Rookie mistake!
Obviously, going to Croatia with Charlotte to run together with Olivier, Chloe, Ingo, Karmen and Alexandre remains a good idea.

2/ The feet
After Legends, my feet were a bit swollen. No big deal, except that two weeks later, at CrĂȘtes de Spa, I felt the second joint of my right big toe and the outside bone of my left foot were very sensitive. I tried to give it some rest, but a few days before Istria, while we were visiting Bergamo, I tried running on my normal trail-running shoes. No way on earth I was going to run in these! I actually resigned to the fact I wasn't going to start in Istria, and didn't feel too bad about it, which probably didn't help in the end either. 100 miles is still a long long way to go, and you need to be focused.
When I tried running on my barefoot shoes, things felt a lot better, so I figured it might have had more to do with the shoes than the feet. So maybe I should try another brand of shoes? After some googling, I found a shoe shop in Milan (yes, I actually drove to Milan to go shoe shopping, never thought I would) where I could pick up a pair of Altras. The owner of the store apparently is the organizer of Transcendence, so I headed out the store as quickly as I could before I could sign up on any of their crazy ideas. Running on the Altras was less painful than on my TNF's, but I'm sure I would have done some damage if I continued in Istria, which would have jeopardised next month's Ultra Trail Snowdonia.

3/ The holiday
After visiting friends in Cologne, my girlfriend, our dog and I drove to Bergamo for a short holiday. Although the weather was "awful" according to local standards, I really enjoyed my coffee in the morning sunshine, going for a run in the mountains with the dog, and spending time with Charlotte. Lago di Como may be overrated, but it was a good mini-holiday. So much so that I decided I would prefer continuing this holiday instead of begin grumpy in a race which is too crowded with painful feet. Strange thoughts indeed!
Oskar at Lago di Como

First hill-run

Post-run nap

4/ DNF
I'm actually happy I quit. This just wasn't my race, and I know better what to look for now. I'm also strangely relieved on having had my first DNF, which I dreaded for some time. DNF'ing is only a matter of time if you continue this sport, and I might best get it over with when everything is pointing in that direction (which doesn't mean I'm convinced I will finish all other races of course).

In every race there are moments where you ask yourself, "why the hell am I doing this?! When I get home, I'm signing up in the local chess club!", but usually you find answers in the moonshine, the sun coming up, a mountain view, a rainshower, or just in yourself. Not this time.

And wasn't it simply too close after Legends? I honestly don't think so, but that's just my personal feeling of course.